Finca Vigia was built in 1886 at San Francisco de Paula Ward, Havana by architect Miguel Pascual y Baguer.
The 15-acre property was home to American writer and novelist, Ernest Hemingway from 1939 to 1960. He initially rented the property and purchased it in 1940. Hemingway lived there with his third wife, Marta Gelhorn, and later with his last wife Mary Welsh Hemingway. Ernest Hemingway left Cuba in 1960 to get his depression treated in the U.S. At the moment, the Cuban and U.S. governments were in a rough situation, which made it difficult for Hemingway to return to Cuba. After the author committed suicide in 1961, his widow Mary Welsh gave the property to the Cuban government to preserve it. Finca Vigia was opened as a museum in 2007. This museum currently makes it to the list of top endangered historic sites because of its structure fragility.
Facts About Finca Vigia
During his time at Finca Vigia, Hemingway wrote two of his famous novels: For Whom the Bell Tolls in 1940, and The Old Man and the Sea in 1951
Ernest Hemingway kept 11 cats in the finca, he wrote a lot about them
Hemingway’s writings, books, and some personal items still remain intact at the Finca
Mon - Sat: 10am to 4pm
Sun: 9am to 1pm
Watch this Finca Vigia video for a view of the inside of Hemingway's Cuban home
Finca Vigia Map